What does Volatility mean?
Volatility (often also called variance or dispersion) refers to how much risk is involved in playing a particular casino game. When it refers to slots, the term is used to let players know how often they can expect the slot to pay out, and how big they can expect that payout will be.
A slot with low volatility will award players with frequent wins for low to mid-sized amounts, while a slot with high volatility will provide players with much larger wins at a more irregular pace. Since the higher the volatility of a slot the less frequent it will pay out, high volatility slots are considered more risky options for players, as they can find themselves investing large portions of their balance looking for that one massive win.
Their ability to dispense these types of payouts have made high volatility slots by far the most popular slots amongst experienced online casino fans and thrill seekers, while lower volatility slots are known as the best choice for new and casual slot players alike.
What are high volatility slots?
High volatility slots are slots that have a large difference between the minimum and maximum win amounts. The bigger the jackpots that are promised, the higher you can expect the volatility of the game will be. Whenever you hear of a millionaire jackpot win on the news or see a video of a slot paying out a massive win of thousands of times the initial bet, it will definitely be coming from a high volatility slot.
That being said, high volatility slots are considered much riskier to play as you may find yourself going through periods where you don’t hit any significant winning combinations. Most high volatility slots still have a very high expected RTP (Return to Player), meaning that while in the short run you may not find many wins, in the long run they will still pay as expected – usually all at once in single spin or bonus game.
Therefore, if you are patient and have a large enough bankroll to continue spinning for periods without any significant rewards, you are bound to hit a free spins bonus feature or huge winning combination that will provide you with a massive win - often reaching between 1000x to 10000x times your investment.
Therefore, high volatility games are to be played with a long-term reward in mind, as one win or bonus game alone can often more than make up for long periods with no significant wins.
Should I play high volatility slots?
High volatility slots are considered by most slot players to be by far the most exciting of all slots. Bursting with bonus features such as free spins with multipliers, stacked Wilds and huge jackpot games, they are bound to give players plenty of thrills as the slot explodes with coins after that game-changing BIG WIN.
High variance slots provide players significantly larger payouts than any other type of slot, some of them offering jackpots that are thousands of times your initial bet. For those seeking even bigger thrills, Progressive jackpots are extremely high variance slots that allow you the opportunity to win a life-changing jackpot, usually consisting of literally millions of euros.
High volatility games are not for the risk adverse, impatient, or the faint of heart. Often you may find yourself despairing after long periods of time where you will only trigger small wins or even no wins at all and you see your balance disappearing. However, these games will reward those willing to plow forward as the RTP guarantees you are bound to eventually hit a payday that will make it all more than worth your while.
So if you are a thrill-seeking Viking who is willing to take big risks and navigate the harsh, fruitless seas in your quest to discover truly epic treasures, there is no substitute to high volatility games
When should I play high volatility Slots?
· When you are a “go big or go home” kind of person
· When you like to take big risks if they can possibly lead you to big rewards
· When you are an adrenaline junkie who lives for the thrills of that massive win
· If - like a true Viking hunter or a fisherman - you are willing to wait for long periods of time without any rewards, just waiting for the right moment to strike
· When you always play the maximum amounts in order to compete for the largest prizes
· When you are a fan of life-changing bonus games and jackpots
· When you don’t mind going risking a large amount of your bankroll in one session waiting for that one lucky spin
· When you are able to set a limit of how much you are willing to lose before you quit playing, and you respect it.
There are many different types of high volatility slots. If you are looking to find which high variance slot is best for you, we’d recommend you read our best high volatility slots list.
What are Low Volatility slots?
Low volatility slots are slots where there is not a huge difference between the minimum and maximum win amounts. Low volatility slots will produce plenty of small and mid-sized payouts that don’t deviate too much from the guaranteed RTP ratio set by the manufacturer. This means that no matter how long you play, you will usually trigger enough wins to make your action worthwhile.
Due to their frequent wins, low variance slot games are low in risk. This makes them perfect for new players that are looking to learn how to play slots or test out a new game, or for casual players that just want to play for as long as they can without having to deposit again.
Since low variance slots are low risk and pay quite often, you should not expect an earth-shattering payout or a jackpot that will get you on the news. However, unlike in high variance slots, you will not have to worry about playing for long periods of time bleeding money before your next win.
None of this is to say you cannot win big in playing these slots. Most of them also feature lucrative free spin bonus features that, while they may not come around too often, will often award you with wins between 10-100 times your initial bet.
When should I play low volatility slots?
· When you are playing just to have fun
· When you want to play for as long as possible
· When you don’t have a large bankroll and are not willing to risk a most or all of it
· When you are a casual player that doesn't need huge wins to have fun
· When you are a new player learning to play slots
· When you want to get the most entertainment out of your money
· When you are a fan of classic video slots and do not like to wait until bonus games to win money
· When you enjoy getting constant little rewards throughout the game instead of few and far between larger ones.
· When you want to receive winnings that are within the machine’s advertised RTP (return to player rate) in the short run.
If you’d like to try out our low volatility slots, we’d recommend you check out our list for the best low volatility slots to find the one that best suits your tastes.
What are Medium Volatility slots?
Medium volatility slots are the happy compromise between high and low volatility slots. Medium variance slot machines will offer players plenty of low and mid-sized wins throughout the game, while also offering the possibility of winning large jackpots – often up to 1000x their bet size.
Medium volatility slots are perfect for players who are looking for big jackpots but also don’t want to risk too much of their bankroll to get them. Playing them will allow you to compete for large prizes and at the same time make the best of your balance, as there will be plenty of bankroll saving wins along the way to keep you playing. While the big wins from free spins bonus games and jackpots are not quite as colossal as high volatility slots, they are still big enough to get your heart racing and your pockets full.
When should I play medium volatility slots?
· When you are playing for fun, but also want the thrill of competing for big prizes
· When you are willing to take larger risks with your bankroll for larger wins – but also want to get the most play out of your money
· When you are a new/casual player that has learned to play on low volatility slots and is looking to take his game to the next level
· When you don’t have a big bankroll but still want to try your hand at huge prizes.
· If you are a fan of hugely profitable free spin bonus games, Wilds and 1000x jackpots
· When you like to receive small rewards regularly, but also want the chance to win bigger jackpots
If you’d like to play a medium volatility slot but don’t know which to choose from, you can check our list of best medium volatility slots.
How to Determine Volatility
While casino game developers don’t usually give out information regarding a slot’s volatility to players, there are a few ways in which you can determine a slot’s volatility.
The first one is to select the slots by volatility lists posted further above this page, which will go over the slots considered by players to be the best for each volatility type.
Another way is to take a look at the difference between the payout of 4 identical symbols in a payline vs the payout of 5 symbols in a payline. If the difference in payout is 3 to 5 times the amount it will most likely be a low variance slot, between 5-10 times a medium, and between 10 to 15 times it will surely be a high variance slot.
Finally, the best and most accurate way to determine the volatility of any online casino game: Playing it! The more time you spend with a slot the easier it will be to gauge how often it pays out and how big each win is. The more you have to wait for wins and the bigger they are, the more volatile the slot will be.
The best way to test this, of course, is by playing for free. VikingSlots offers its players the possibility of trying out all of their slots for play money. However, if you would like to play for free with the possibility of winning real money prizes, make sure to check out our Casino bonus page where you can receive up to $2000 in bonus money and 100 free spins to test out our slots and find the right one for you.
Did you like it? Why not share it with your friends